Wednesday, October 09, 2013

I Can't Let Go

Recently, I've been in the beginning stages of embarking on another band project. I don't know how many more of these I have in me, so I'd like this one to be a solid winner. As usual, one of the larger problems is choosing the right songs to play, because as a good friend often says, "There's SO many songs". So, while I may not have a handle on the musical direction yet, I am certain of the sound I want to aim for.

There are a lot of mediocre bands out there that are successful because they have a good vocal sound. Conversely, many bands that are musically excellent suffer because they don't pull the listener in with good vocals. And let's face it, a lot of Rock music doesn't have all that much going on in the verses, so it is critical that the vocal sound stops people in their tracks.

After going through a ton of possibilities, I know that I want my band to sound like this recording as much as possible. I'm not even going to insist on doing this specific song, should someone object for whatever reason, although I'm all for it and I have no idea why anyone wouldn't want to do it. But again, it's all about the sound of it.

This is the Continental Drifters with their riveting cover of "I Can't Let Go" by The Hollies. It comes from a great Hollies tribute album that came out in the 90's called "Sing Hollies In Reverse" that every Hollies fan should have in their collection. Your undivided attention is directed to the vocal exchanges, as they are critical to the arrangement, and yes, that elusive sound that I'm after.


Continental Drifters
So what do I think is so great about this recording? First off, they capture all the positive energy of The Hollies so effortlessly. Second and most important, I love the exchange of the male and female vocal parts. One takes the first verse, the other takes the second. Then, they intertwine on the chorus, which takes the narrative from being a single person's declaration to a conversation, and does so seamlessly. But we all know that making something sound easy is incredibly difficult, isn't it?

But where are my manners? You haven't had a proper introduction to the band. The Continental Drifters were an American rock band, formed in Los Angeles in 1991. The band dissolved in New Orleans about a decade later. Though the line-up changed several times, at one point the band comprised a kind of college rock/indie-rock/power-pop supergroup, including, at different times, Peter Holsapple of the dB's, Mark Walton of The Dream Syndicate, Vicki Peterson from The Bangles and Susan Cowsill of... yes, those Cowsills. They recorded three albums together, all now out of print, but findable and most affordable.

The Hollies
Comparing this great cover to The Hollies' original almost isn't fair, as great and unique as The Hollies were. But the cover is sturdy enough to stand on its own. The first thing that will jump out at you on The Hollies' version, besides Allan Clarke's dependably great lead vocal, is the high harmony provided by a youthful Graham Nash, later of Crosby Stills and. It has often been reported that Nash's resonant tenor vocal part in the chorus, "You gotta help me pleeeease...", was mistaken by one Paul McCartney to be a very high trumpet part, possibly and/or partially inspiring the use of a real one on a little tune you may have heard of called "Penny Lane".


And so, as mentioned above, you can find recordings from the Continental Drifters, along with that most excellent Hollies tribute album, at Amazon, used, for a very reasonable fee. On the other hand, the library of recordings by The Hollies is extensive and includes lots of the original albums, but also an assortment of collections and anthologies, most of which are redundant and appeal mostly to completist collectors. In light of all that, I will recommend the excellent 3 disc 30th Anniversary set, which is rather affordable and sounds great. For those of you who just want the essentials, you can't go wrong with this Greatest Hits album from the 70's, now nicely remastered and reissued on high quality 180 gram vinyl as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment