Wednesday, May 29, 2013

I'm A Man

The other evening at home, my wife and I were spinning some vinyl records as she proceeded to kick my butt at billiards. Again. But it's always a good time and we don't get to do that often enough. She's a way better pool player than she takes credit for, so I feel like I can't give her any slack at all, because she'll run the table on me, given the chance.

First up on the turntable that night was the debut Chicago album, "Chicago Transit Authority", on brand new 180 gram vinyl. I've heard this music often since its original release in 1969, but I don't think I've ever heard it so clearly. I even put a Facebook post up about it the following day, saying that despite the musical pablum that Peter Cetera put out during his solo career in the '80's and '90's; back in the day, he was one bad-ass bass player! I don't know why it was so noticeable, but Cetera's bass parts just lept off the vinyl, as full and fat and clear as could be. I don't think that the album was remixed in any way for the vinyl release, as the original multitracks were lost in a fire some years ago. But I'm tellin' ya, folks, it was sounding pretty damn good!

Here's Chicago with "I'm A Man" from that first album, which was one hell of a debut by any yardstick. This track used to get regular airplay, even in the days of AM boss hit radio when the 3 minute single ruled the airwaves. Props also go to guitarist Terry Kath and drummer Danny Seraphine for kickin' some butt on this track. Y'all were bad!


The Spencer Davis Group, 1967
Two months after The Beatles appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964, the "British Invasion" was in full swing and British groups dominated the pop charts on both sides of the Atlantic. Among the more influential was The Spencer Davis Group, a band formed in Birmingham, England, and best known for introducing a sound derived from the more soulful blues of the American South. This was, in no small way, due to the addition to the group of a teenaged Steve Winwood, who was already skilled on the guitar and Hammond organ, but also had a belting soulful voice that belied his youth. Winwood himself has always said his vocal style came directly from Ray Charles and you can certainly hear the influence.

The group's two best selling singles were self-penned projects. Both "Gimme Some Lovin'" and "I'm A Man" were searing showcases for the adolescent Winwood's gritty vocals and blazing keyboards over the band's pounding rhythms. Although they burned up the charts in the U.K. and the USA in 1967, the quartet never capitalized on their fame with an American tour. At the height of their success, Winwood left to form Traffic, leaving Davis without his dynamic frontman. Bummer for Davis; great for the evolution of rock 'n roll.

In this live clip from Danish TV, Steve Winwood looks to be about 18. His voice is a little road-rough, likely from a lack of decent vocal monitors back then, but he's still killin' it.


There are several compilations of the Spencer Davis Group at Amazon, but I will recommend this one, as it's thorough and rather affordable. All of their singles are there and then some.

Everything ever released by Chicago is still in print and available, but I still haven't the foggiest clue of what "25 Or 6 To 4" is all about. Your guess is as good as mine. But, I digress. Get the first 3 albums if you only like the old stuff, or you could spend less and pop for this import boxed set; a steal at around 30 bucks. The box includes the first 10 albums, all nicely remastered and packaged in mini LP replica sleeves. The massive "Live At Carnegie Hall" set is not included in that box, of course, but is available separately for all you Chicago completists.

No comments:

Post a Comment